Looking your best is integral to your confidence and self-esteem. When hair loss occurs, it can have a negative impact on how you see yourself. We are conditioned to see a full head of hair as healthy, luxurious, and youthful. Hair also helps us express something about our personalities: Through styling and coloring, we’re able to express ourselves. As we age, we can choose to keep a distinguished gray or white, or cover it up with hair dye.
Unfortunately, over time, hair dyes, stress, declining health, hormone changes, and the regular process of aging can cause hair thinning and hair loss. Primary care physicians sometimes ignore psychological effects of hair loss, but the truth is that hair loss is likely happening to you in conjunction with other difficult life events or changes. Hair loss is a prominent, physical marker of the beauty standard our youth-obsessed culture holds so dear.
Signs of Poor Mental Health with Hair Loss
While hair loss can occur differently in men and women, and while society treats balding men and women with different expectations, unwanted hair loss is a challenge for anyone.
- Do you find yourself wearing wigs, hairpieces, or hats more often — even though you don’t want to?
- Do you think it might be better to stay at home because of the effort it takes to make your hair look acceptable?
- Do you worry about what your spouse, partner, or date might think now that you have less hair than you did before?
- Has your opinion about your appearance declined due to your hair loss?
- Do you avoid looking at yourself in the mirror?
- Do you have dreams about losing all your hair?
- Are you afraid that people will put negative attention towards your wig or hair loss?
Indications That Hair Loss is Taking a Toll on Your Mental Health.
If this sounds like you, you can do a few things to help recover your self-esteem.
- Be open with friends, family, clergy, community leaders, and coworkers about it: If you feel comfortable being vulnerable with them, let them know that you’re struggling. Ignoring the problem won’t help, but finding support from trusted loved ones and others in your life might.
- Speak with a therapist: Since the effects of hair loss can be psychological, you might need a mental health expert to talk you through it.
- Hair transplant and regrowth solutions: Consider robotic hair transplants and non-surgical therapy. A certified professional can examine your hair, speak with you about your goals, and recommend the best process for you.
- Stop damaging your hair with do-it-yourself methods and dyes. Our experts can provide more natural solutions for your hair, and we can also tell you what to avoid doing at home. We’re invested in your best possible outcome.
With the approach of the new year, it’s time for a new you! Invest in yourself — without fearing the cost (as we do offer financing). Let’s move forward in a positive direction for your appearance and mental health.
Coping with changes in your appearance is challenging. With hair restoration services, we’re here to help. Don’t let negative self-esteem due to hair loss impact your life at work, on a date, and in front of the mirror. Give us a call now or schedule a free consultation on our website..